Sunday 5 December 2010

Santiago de Compostela

Santiago is Galicia's capital and one of the most religiously historical places in the world. During the Jacobean Holy Year (which so happens to fall this year) millions of people visit Santiago's Cathedral. During this Holy Year, pilgrims follow a specific route on foot that begins in France and leads them to the shrine of the Apostle St. James in Santiago's Cathedral.

I'm very lucky to have Santiago within an hour of me. Prior to my flight to Paris last week I had a couple hours free time to walk around and take pics with my iPhone. This past weekend my friend Manuel gave my roommates and I a ride and a tour of the city. Luckily I was able to take some more photos, hope you like!

Santiago's Cathedral












This past weekend...






The shell below is Galicia's symbol. This specific plaque is located in front of the Cathedral and marks the end point of the Holy Year pilgrimage.




Supposedly undecided undergrad students at the University of Santiago use this window display to help them choose a major by closing their eyes and randomly pointing in a direction. 



Curruncho - Manuel was showing my roomies and I one of his favorite streets


Group photo


More Cathedral pics...




No comments:

Post a Comment