Wednesday 4 May 2011

Semana Santa en Ferrol con los Capirotes!

I heard that Semana Santa (holy week) in Ferrol is very impressive, but nothing could have prepared me for the mega processions and chills I felt. I know what you're thinking...KKK, right? The wardrobe called, capirotes are a traditional garb donned to disguise the person wearing it. Those who volunteer do it as penitence for their sins or as a sacrifice for an ailing relative or friend. During the week leading up to Easter there are always several processions. Each procession has a different theme that captures the passion of Christ.  The gold thrones that you see in the photos below are very old and magnificently decorated to portray the macabre scenes from Jesus' last days. Together, with the capirotes, the thrones and music, I was completely blown away. I'm very glad I got to be a part of it.  


























The next day Megan, Mike and I took a boat tour around la ria de Ferrol.













I'm really going to miss this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment