Sunday 9 January 2011

Inverness - I love you Jamie Fraser!!

Including Inverness in my Scottish adventure was one of the best decisions I ever made. Known as the capital of the highlands, this town is the epitome of small but mighty. Upon checking into my cozy little hostel called the Bazpackers Hostel I immediately felt at ease and at home. I was a bit worried to do this part of the trip by myself but I never once felt lonely or out of place.

While in Inverness I went on a tour of Loch Ness (the infamous home of the Loch Ness monster Nessie) and the atmospheric ruins of Urquhart Castle. I also visited the Culloden battlefield, took a lovely stroll along the River Ness and enjoyed a Scottish Ceilidh at a local pub. To sum it up I fell in love with Inverness. 

Inverness Castle which was across the street from my hostel


My hostel is the building on the right


River Ness









I thought this picture was cool because it shows the contrast between a centuries old castle and an ugly modern building












A snow covered field





On my second day I took a Jacobite boat tour on Loch Ness that ended at Urquhart Castle




The view on the water was absolutely breathtaking


This picture is not digitally enhanced - the sky and reflection in the water really is that colorful!







Urquhart Castle






View from a castle window



Urquhart castle has a sad, long bloody history. It was once one of Scotland's strongholds due to it's strategic location and it played a key role in the Scottish battle for independence. It came under the control of Robert the Bruce before a 150-year old power struggle between the Stewart dynasty and the McDonald Lords of the Isles. It burnt to the ground around the 15th century and has not been habitable since.






Not the best photo spot from where our bus was parked but it gives an idea of how beautiful the castle looks lit up against the dark blue night


Flora McDonald - the woman responsible for hiding Bonnie Prince Charlie by disguising him as her maid and helping him escape by a small boat on the Isle of Sky






Culloden Battlefield - the final resting place for over 2,000 brave Jacobite soldiers



For those of you who have read Outlander I picture this small cottage on the outskirts of the field to be the place where Jamie was taken to be shot before he was rescued by Lord John Grey's brother












Chills


Memorial cairn erected in 1881


16th April 1746


After my solemn visit to Culloden I took a walk along the River Ness and Ness Islands


I found Nessie!! She's been petrofied on Ness Island! Quick call Hermoine or Harry to help her!



The lazy but sweet Bazpackers kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment